Lookout's independent research highlighted in the annual index validates mobile device phishing attacks are the primary access point to breaches of corporate data
BOSTON, December 12, 2023 – With more employees working from anywhere, mobile devices are front and center as the endpoint of choice for the modern workforce. But since these devices have traditionally been neglected as part of a company’s overall security strategy, they have also become the most susceptible target for external hackers to gain entry into corporate cloud infrastructure through tactics such as social engineering and credential theft. The 2023 Verizon Mobile Security Index, which includes independent research from Lookout, Inc., the data-centric cloud security company, explores recent forms of attack vectors, key trends and how a strong mobile threat defense posture could solve many of today’s most pressing security challenges.
The Verizon Mobile Security Index looks at some of the biggest threats to mobile devices and provides unique insights into the current mobile threat landscape such as malware, phishing, excessive app permissions and inappropriate usage. The index looks at what organizations are, or in many cases aren’t, doing to protect their data and key systems.
Key takeaways from the annual index include:
- 81% of organizations faced malware, phishing and password attacks last year which were mainly targeted at users.
- 62% of companies suffered a security breach connected to remote working.
- 74% of all breaches include the human element. More so, malware showed up in 40% of breaches.
- 80% of phishing sites target mobile devices specifically or are designed to function both on desktop and mobile. Meanwhile, the average user is 6–10 times more likely to fall for SMS phishing attacks than email-based attacks.
- As of 2022, 60% of all corporate data was stored in the cloud.
- In 2022, more than 50% of personal devices were exposed to a mobile phishing attack.
- Mobile app threats increased by over 30% between the first half of 2022 and the first half of 2023.
- The vast majority (90%) of remote workers access corporate resources from locations other than their home—the average is five different locations. This can expose the organization to additional security risks.
“With mobile now the endpoint of choice for the modern workforce, sensitive corporate data moves across a constantly expanding array of networks, clouds and applications,” said Aaron Cockerill, Executive Vice President of Products, Lookout. “As organizations continue to move more of their data to the cloud, cybercriminals have also shifted their tactics and techniques to take full advantage of this change. Mobile devices hold the keys to access cloud apps and data and are the least protected part of this environment. In this evolving threat landscape, it is more crucial than ever for organizations to begin prioritizing the protection of mobile devices as part of their overall security strategy to reduce risk and safeguard their data.”
Lookout contributed insights to the report alongside industry leaders such as Check Point, Ivanti, Akamai, IBM and more. Read the Verizon 2023 Mobile Security Index and learn suggested best practices your organization can implement.
- Learn more about Lookout Mobile Endpoint Security and the Lookout Threat Lab.
- Sign up for a complimentary Data Risk Assessment.
- Listen and subscribe to Security Soapbox, the Lookout podcast covering privacy, security, and everything in between.
Lookout, Inc. is the data-centric cloud security company that delivers zero trust security by reducing risk and protecting data wherever it goes, without boundaries or limits. Our unified, cloud-native platform safeguards corporate data across devices, apps, networks and clouds and is as adaptive and simple as the modern digital world. Lookout is trusted by enterprises and government agencies of all sizes to protect the sensitive data they care about most, enabling them to work and connect freely and safely. To learn more about the Lookout Cloud Security Platform, visit www.lookout.com and follow Lookout on our blog, LinkedIn and X.
Contact Lookout PR: firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2023 Lookout, Inc. LOOKOUT®, the Lookout Shield Design®, and LOOKOUT with Shield Design® are registered trademarks of Lookout, Inc. in the United States and other countries. DAY OF SHECURITY®, LOOKOUT MOBILE SECURITY®, and POWERED BY LOOKOUT® are registered trademarks of Lookout, Inc. in the United States. Lookout, Inc. maintains common law trademark rights in EVERYTHING IS OK, PROTECTED BY LOOKOUT, CIPHERCLOUD, the 4 Bar Shield Design, and the Lookout multi-color/multi-shaded Wingspan design.